[Cohort39] Spring 298?

Elizabeth Breen elizabeth_breen at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 28 13:43:59 PST 2019

Hello Jenna,

Sorry for the long delay in answering this email! I think the time you
mentioned (Thursday afternoons starting 2/7) works well for most of us. We
started a list of readings that might be applicable:

Ordover, Nancy. *American eugenics: Race, queer anatomy, and the science of
nationalism*. U of Minnesota Press, 2003. (Book)

Bashford, Alison, and Philippa Levine, eds. *The Oxford handbook of the
history of eugenics*. OUP USA, 2010. (Book)

Greenhalgh, Susan. "The social construction of population science: An
intellectual, institutional, and political history of twentieth-century
demography." *Comparative studies in society and history* 38, no. 1 (1996):
26-66.

These next two came from the Alternative Reading List for Demography:
<https://thealternativereadinglistproject.wordpress.com/demography/>
Basu, K.M., (1997) ‘The ‘politicization’ of fertility to achieve non
demographic objectives’, PS 5, 1, pp. 5-18

Prewitt, K. (2013) ‘What Is Your Race? The Census and Our Flawed Efforts to
Classify Americans’ Princeton University Press

Looking forward to meeting with you next week!
Thanks,
Elizabeth