[Brownbag] Demography Brown Bag - Emily Smith-Greenaway "On a demography of loss: a new population perspective of mortality"

Maria Teresa Hernandez mt_hernandez at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 26 14:06:45 PDT 2022

> Dear Demography colleagues:
>
> Please join us tomorrow in our last Demography brown bag session of the spring semester.  The speaker will present via Zoom but participants are welcome to gather in the Demography conference room.

> Emily Smith-Greenaway "On a demography of loss: a new population perspective of mortality" Wednesday April 27 at 12:00 noon PDT

Associate Professor of Sociology and Spatial Sciences at the University of Southern California. Smith-Greenaway's research seeks to understand social inequality across the life course, specially measured in terms of disparities in physical and mental health, as well as survival.

Most of life is a series of forgettable experiences. Monumental events pepper life’s mundane moments, from the often celebrated—completing school, marrying, having a child—to the dreaded—a child’s death, divorce, or illness. Smith-Greenaway's work carefully documents how the occurrence, timing, and context surrounding such major life events can leave an indelible mark on individuals’ lives, either inhibiting or facilitating their ability to achieve a “good life” for themselves and for their children. Smith-Greenaway's international research focuses on contexts where individuals are charting their life’s course in politically, economically, and ecologically unforgiving environments