[SOCSIM] Fertility Rate Bug

Carl MASON cmason at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 16 07:31:54 PST 2016

Bruno Schoumaker discovered a bug in the way that Socsim was (not)
adjusting fertility rates to take account of the specified minimum birth
interval in segments other than the first.

This bug dates from Jan 2014 when I last "improved" the way that Socsim
adjusted fertility rates.  The new algorithm does indeed represent an
improvement -- but its implementation frankly sucked.

Assuming that you tested and tuned your fertility rates, this will not have
any affect on previous results, as minimum birth intervals were enforced --
HOWEVER in order to reproduce those results,  you will need to use the OLD
socsim code (with the bug). The new Socsim code will increase fertility
rates above the tuned levels.

If you need to do that,  please let me know and I will make that (old
buggy) program available.  But as of 5 minutes ago,  the socsim command at
the Demography Lab invokes the newer better Socsim.

Thanks Bruno for noticing the problem.

--Carl