[SOCSIM] Joint Lives

Emilio Zagheni emiliozagheni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 11:37:50 PST 2013

Courtesy of Jim Oeppen (see below)

----

I sent this message to the SOCSIM users I know, but I'm afraid I forgot
about you.  Here it is:

I recently found the IRanges library in R:bioconductor.  I was looking for
an R equivalent of the boost C++ Interval Container Library which I have
been using for “joint life” calculations on CAMSIM output.  Although
IRanges is designed for genomic data, it has a really useful set of
functions for analyzing overlapping intervals.  It saves a huge amount of
coding so I thought it might be useful for your analyses of SOCSIM output.
If you have any comments, or know of any other packages suitable for
analysis of joint lives, I would like to hear about them.

I have a few comments.  The author of a similar package, R:intervals, told
me that it has been superseded by IRanges.  I found that using the IRanges
rdapply function on their RangedData structure was slow, so I use plyr as
the split/apply/combine method.  IRanges is included in GenomicRanges, but
the latter seemed to add complicated genomic stuff I didn’t need.

Best wishes,
Jim