[Prcenter] A message from Ken Wachter regarding our faculty search

Liz Ozselcuk elto at demog.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 10 08:37:49 PDT 2008

Dear Population Research Center members, Demography staff and students:

I want to let you and other friends of Demography know about the outcome
of our faculty search in Demography at the tenured level which has now
concluded.  Acting on recommendations from the Search Committee, the
Department selected and approached two candidates in turn, but in the end
we were not able to arrange an appointment.

There are structural features which make recruitment at this level
difficult for Berkeley.  We shall appreciate your advice as we go on to
consider our best options in the wake of this outcome, as we seek to
assure the future of demographic studies on our campus over the long run.

Kenneth W.  Wachter
Chair, Department of Demography