[Cohort39] Prelim Exam Questions

Elizabeth Breen elizabeth_breen at berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 17 09:41:37 PST 2019

Hello Dennis,

I’m writing to follow up on scheduling a meeting with Cohort 39 to discuss
our preliminary exam. I think it would be helpful to discuss this in
person, but I’m also attaching a list of our initial questions below, to
give you a chance to prepare for the onslaught.

When are you available to meet? Cohort 39 is typically around on Tuesdays
from 2:00pm-3:00pm, Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm or 1:00pm-2:00pm or
5:00pm - 6:00pm, and every other Thursday (next available on 3/1) from
2:00pm-4:00pm. Would any of those times work for you? (We are also ok with
discussing this over email if you’d prefer.)

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Questions:

Where will we take the exams?

Can we elect to take the exams open or closed book?

Is it possible for us to take the exams closed book, but with a single
sheet of hand-written notes (equations for the quantitative portion, theory
notes for the qualitative portion) we can bring in?

Can we bring in scientific calculators?

Should we bring blue books?

Who is going to proctor the exam?

Who is writing the exams?

Who is grading the exams?

How soon after the exams are finished will we receive our grades?

What score counts as passing the exams?

What are average past scores?

Are the exam scores curved?

If we do not pass, will we have a chance to retake the exam?

Do the exams determine whether we will a) receive a master’s degree or b)
be allowed to continue in the PhD program, or both?

Would failing the exam have a different impact on a Soc/Demog PhD student
than a Demog Masters or PhD student, and if so, what is that difference?

Do you have any recommendations for the timing of the exams?

We were considering asking to take the quantitative portion on 5/6 and the
qualitative portion on 5/8. Would you recommend spacing them further apart?
Or taking them earlier in the semester?

Is there anything we haven’t asked that you think we should know about?