[Brownbag] Demography Brown Bag Presentation, 5/1: Kevin Thomas

Monique Marie VERRIER moniquemarie at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 26 10:45:42 PDT 2019

Please join us for a Demography Brown Bag Presentation. At noon on
Wednesday, May 1, *Kevin Thomas* (Sociology, Demography, and African
Studies, Penn State) will present, "*Foreign Student Emigration to the
United States: Pathways of Entry, Demographic Antecedents, and
Origin-Country Contexts.*"

Demography Brown Bag Presentations are held at 2232 Piedmont Avenue, room
100 from noon-1pm.

Please see the abstract, below.

Hope to see you there.

Monique

*Abstract*
In this study, we use information from a uniquely developed database to
examine recent trends in international student migration to the United
States. Our results highlight the differential contributions to these
trends made by various entry pathways. For example, we find that the
overall growth was mostly driven by students using visas that offer the
least possibility of U.S. employment immediately following the completion
of their studies. We also find that the overall trends were significantly
affected by global demographic changes. Increases in student migration from
Europe would have been faster had there been no decline in its fertility
trends, percentage of youths, and youth population size. Contrasting
demographic realities in Asia and Africa accounted for substantial
proportions of the increases from these regions. The results also indicate
that the effects of changes in youth population size and fertility trends
were moderated by changes in income. Finally, the analysis points to a
declining significance of English language contexts in fueling
international student migration to the United States. In the last two
decades, the growth in student migration from non-English language contexts
was about three times faster than that for flows originating from
English-dominant countries.

To view past brown bag presentations, please go here:

For the spring 2019 brown bag schedule, go here:
https://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/popsci.html

The Demography Brown Bag Seminars take place on Wednesdays from 12:10 to
1:00, in room 100 of the Demography building, 2232 Piedmont Ave. Please try
to arrive before 12:10 so we can start promptly at the scheduled time.
Regular and decaffeinated coffee will be available, as well as cookies and
hot water for tea. Administrative inquiries may be addressed to the
Demography Office at 642-9800, or monique at demog.berkeley.edu. If you would
like to inquire about presenting a seminar yourself, or have suggestions
for other potential speakers, please contact Liz Vasile at
evasile at berkeley.edu. Visit our webpage for an up-to-date list of future
Brown Bag Seminars visit our website at
https://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/popsci.html. Funding
partially provided by the Berkeley Population Center and The Center for the
Economics and Demography of Aging (CEDA).

http://www.populationsciences.berkeley.edu/news/berkeley-demography-brown-bag-talks

--
Monique Verrier
Graduate Student Services Advisor