[Brownbag] Fwd: CORRECTION: Brown Bag on 4/3: Diederik Boertien

Monique Marie VERRIER moniquemarie at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 1 17:44:45 PDT 2019

Dear Demography Community,

Our speaker also has time during the day on Wednesday April 3rd for
meetings.  Please sign-up to meet with him here:
https://www.wejoinin.com/sheets/tadxq

Thank you,

Please join us for a Demography Brown Bag Presentation. At noon on
Wednesday, April 3, *Diederik Boertien* (Centre for Demographic Studies,
University of Barcelona) will present, "Diverging Destinies? Changing
Family Structures and Inequality of Opportunity in the United States."

Demography Brown Bag Presentations are held at 2232 Piedmont Avenue, room
100 from noon-1pm.

Hope to see you there.

ABSTRACT:

Childhood family structure figures prominently in debates on inequality of
opportunity between socioeconomic groups. But, recent empirical research on
heterogeneity in the effects of childhood family structure has questioned
the leading role played by family structure. In this article, we therefore
aim to provide a quantification of how important family structure changes
over time have been for socioeconomic background differences in educational
outcomes. We use data from the NLSY 1979 and 1997 cohort studies to explain
group differences in cognitive skills and educational attainment. We rely
on Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition models, which allow taking into account
heterogeneity in the effects of family structures according to
socioeconomic background. We conclude that family structure changes could
account for a 7% increase in the socioeconomic background gap in
educational attainment for women, but are associated with a 4% decrease in
the attainment gap for men. Even though family structure types have become
more stratified by socioeconomic background, general decreases in the
prevalence of two-parent families appear to have been more consequential
for the outcomes of men from advantaged socioeconomic backgrounds as
compared to men from less advantaged backgrounds. In the case of men, the
general reductions in the prevalence of two-parent families are more
important for the socioeconomic background gap in education than the
increased stratification of childhood family structure.

To view past brown bag presentations, please go here:
vimeo.com/berkeleypopscience
For the spring 2019 brown bag schedule, go here:
https://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/popsci.html

The Demography Brown Bag Seminars take place on Wednesdays from 12:10 to
1:00, in room 100 of the Demography building, 2232 Piedmont Ave. Please try
to arrive before 12:10 so we can start promptly at the scheduled time.
Regular and decaffeinated coffee will be available, as well as cookies and
hot water for tea. Administrative inquiries may be addressed to the
Demography Office at 642-9800, or monique at demog.berkeley.edu. If you would
like to inquire about presenting a seminar yourself, or have suggestions
for other potential speakers, please contact Liz Vasile at
evasile at berkeley.edu. Visit our webpage for an up-to-date list of future
Brown Bag Seminars visit our website at
https://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/popsci.html. Funding
partially provided by the Berkeley Population Center and The Center for the
Economics and Demography of Aging (CEDA).

http://www.populationsciences.berkeley.edu/news/berkeley-demography-brown-
bag-talks

--
Monique Verrier