[Brownbag] Paper and Abstract - Demography Brown Bag Seminar October 22: Melissa Kearney

Monique Verrier monique at demog.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 20 14:00:09 PDT 2014

Dear Brown Bag Community,

Here is the abstract and paper (attached) for Melissa Kearney's
presentation, "Media Influences in Social Outcomes: The Impact of MTV's
'16 and Pregnant' on Teen Childbearing," (coauthored by Phillip B. Levine)
which will be take place on Wednesday, October 22.

Abstract: This paper explores the impact of the introduction of the widely
viewed MTV show 16 and Pregnant on teen childbearing. The reality TV show
follows the lives of pregnant teenagers during the final months of their
pregnancy and early months of motherhood. We match Vital Statistics birth
data to Nielson television ratings data to investigate whether exposure to
the show had an impact on teen childbearing rates. We implement an
instrumental variables (IV) strategy using local area MTV ratings data
from a pre-period to predict local area 16 and Pregnant ratings. We also
introduce event study methods, utilizing the specific timing of the show’s
introduction to identify a causal effect. The results of this analysis
imply that the introduction of this MTV show led to a 5 percent reduction
in teen births in the 18 months following its initial airing. This
accounts for 28 percent of the overall decline in teen births in the
United States during that period. We supplement these findings with an
examination of data from Google Trends and Twitter, which suggest that
this show led to increased interest in contraceptive use and abortion, as
captured by internet search and tweeting behavior.

Thank you,

Monique

The Demography Brown Bag Seminars take place usually on Wednesdays from 12:10
to 1:00, in room 100 of the Demography building, 2232 Piedmont Ave. Please try
to arrive before 12:10 so we can start promptly at the scheduled time. Regular
and decaffeinated coffee will be available, as well as cookies and hot water
for tea. Administrative inquiries may be addressed to the Demography Office at
642-9800, or monique at demog.berkeley.edu. If you would like to inquire about
presenting a seminar yourself, or have suggestions for other potential
speakers, please contact Liz Vasile at evasile at berkeley.edu. Visit our webpage
for an up-to-date list of future Brown Bag Seminars visit our website at
http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/announcements/brownbag.shtml Funding partially
provided by the Berkeley Population Center and The Center for the Economics and
Demography of Aging (CEDA).

Monique M. Verrier
Graduate Student Services Adviser
UC Berkeley, Department of Demography