[Brownbag] Reminder and paper: Ernesto F. L. Amaral, Brown Bag Nov. 5

Monique Verrier monique at demog.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:15:35 PST 2014

Dear brown bag community,

Ernesto F. L. Amaral will be giving the Demography Brown Bag talk this
Wednesday, November 5. The paper is attached and the abstract is below.
We hope to see you Wednesday.

Abstract

This paper estimates the impact of demographic and educational changes on
the earnings and returns to schooling of workers in Brazil and Mexico. Our
analysis takes into account demographic, educational and economic
variations within each country over time, using Censuses microdata from
Brazil and Mexico. Results suggest that demographic and educational
transitions generate impact on earnings and on returns to education. The
proportion of people in age-education groups tends to have a negative
impact on earnings. These impacts are more detrimental among age-education
groups with higher education, but they are having less of a negative
effect over time. We also find that the effects of the concentration of
skilled labor are greater than those observed in more developed countries.
In the United States, the effects of concentration are observed only for
those with higher level of education. In Brazil and Mexico, these effects
are observed throughout the income distribution.